Saturday, March 23, 2013

Jesus and the Easter Bunny

Late yesterday afternoon after our down time, we headed back out in Granada. (Right now we are on the bus from Granada to Madrid. Current playlist? The Black Keys.) We went to the Royal Chapel. I was really excited to go, because it is where King Ferdinand and Queen Isabel are buried. It also housed some of their precious personal items including one of her crowns (what girly girl doesn't wanna see a real crown?!!), their clothes, her prayer book, etc. In the adjacent room to the chapel was where the artifacts were housed. They had quite a few pieces of their personal art collection. All of the paintings were religious in nature with many showing the crucifixion and Jesus's beaten, bruised, bloody, and emaciated body. As I looked at one after the other, I was overcome with emotion. I so rarely think of ALL that Jesus endured on the road to our salvation. Even at Easter time. I mean I think about it, but it doesn't always quite register as completely as it should. I remember the first time I saw The Passion of the Christ movie. It had the same affect. When I have these realizations, I'm overcome with gratitude and unworthiness of my life and my salvation. I also feel guilty beyond belief. Guilty that I don't keep that feeling of gratitude at that deep of a level more. I feel as though I am a very grateful person in general, but this particular feeling is different. It's indescribable. I can only say that I feel it all the way to my core. I felt guilty that what I had done in preparation for Easter was way more about the Easter Bunny than it was about Jesus. In fact, it was only about the bunny. And to think how much I had tried to explain and remind HA that the real reason for Easter was Jesus not the bunny, the whole while not truly processing it myself. I want to watch The Passion of the Christ movie before Easter. I'll have to tell Chris so he can hold me to it. As hard as it is for me to watch (bc it tears my heart what He endured for us), I think it is necessary for me. It's necessary for me to get to my core what Easter really is about. Then maybe while I'm reminding HA it really isn't about the bunny, I'll get it, too. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that I'm not still going to have fun with the bunny part. I don't think there is a thing wrong with that. I'm just going to keep in my heart AND mind why the bunny part is even there to begin with.

-Nattie B

P.S. They didn't allow photos in the chapel or exhibit, so I can't attach a photo of the crown! I was so upset when I saw all of the "no photos" signs!! But, unlike a couple of ppl I'm traveling with who shall remain nameless (you know who you are), if I'm told not to take photos, I actually don't. There's something in me that just won't let myself. I'd feel way too guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment